Saturday, June 23, 2007

Give up Starbucks?


The cost of Starbucks.

I two close friends working at this call center in Makati.
At the end of the week, I would sometimes drop by their office right before they start their night shift.

Starbucks is right beside their building and I can't help but notice that the place is always full of call center agents. Some would be having coffee right before they go to work while some would bring their mochaccinos up to their stations.

Now, a thought just came to me. It is safe to assume that one of these agents would have bought at least one Starbucks coffee every single work day. Being a personal finance addict, I cringe at the thought. I can already imagine how much money is wasted from their paycheck!

So here, I will try to run the numbers and see how much one can save sans the tall frapuccino.

Let's assume that one tall frap is Php120 and an agent works 5 days a week.
So that's Php600 as week. Multiply by 4, that's Php2400. Hmmm... so assuming, just assuming, this agent gets paid Php15000 a month. Then, the daily caffeine fix would have eaten up a whopping 16% percent of this agent's total monthly income!

Had this person refrained from buying the green coffee, and instead dunked the Php2400 to his savings. This would have earned him yearly savings of Php28800.

Hmm... Now if this was invested in an instrument, let's say, a very good mutual fund... The results would have been better... But I don't have my calculator right now. So I'll skip this.

Maybe in my next entry I will continue this Starbucks story.

No comments: