Monday, August 6, 2007

Stocks Slides Down, and so?

'Stocks continue to slide" <--- www.inquirer.net Business section headline

---------------------------

And so are my mutual funds. What do I do?

An investor overcome by emotion loses. I have incurred paper losses, yes, but common sense, of course, tells me not to sell.

Why? Because, if I do, I would convert my paper losses into real monetary losses. Yikes!

Generally, I was not affected by the stock market scare last week. I am not a trader but a long term investor. So as long as I have decent returns when it's ripe for me to redeem my shares then I will be fine.

Yep. Optimism really helps. :-)

2 comments:

M said...

eds! the stock market (nyse at least) jumped up big time yesterday. dow climbed at least 200 points. i don't completely understand that (maybe future blog topic for you? =) ), but that has to be good, right? i don't now that affects the phil. stock market either. also, the reason naggulpi bagsak ang stock market last week was nakulbaan ang investors sa losses sang real estate industry because of subprime lending.

edzmaya said...

mels! everything in nyse affects pse. i really can't understand the market that well, too. one thing i noticed though is that when investors get scared, the market goes down. when they're happy, the market goes up. it's ironic how an industry supposedly ruled by analysis can be crippled by emotions in an instant. :-) wala lang, just a thought.